Thursday, June 19, 2008

Wish Me Luck...

The Linux kernel is such a nice example of a well defined, cleanly interfaced, layered, modular designed system software. One may look at the kernel code to see how object oriented-ness is realized in C programming, a language which does not directly support this feature.

The subject of linux kernel is so deep and vast but equally interesting. For a beginner like me, it opens windows of excitement, wonder as well as confusion. I am trying to peep through these several windows opened before me through this blog. Ofcourse, the best way to learn something is to explain while you learn. Thats how this baby step, this blog came. This is not a tutorial or a lesson to understand the linux kernel, for surely I am not the right person for that. The intention is to better understand the internals of linux kernel in general, both for myself and the readers, by sharing the problems, confusions and discussing issues in experimenting with kernel. Writting here helps me arrange my concepts and learning in shape and evoke the thinking process. What I write here can be helpful to another beginner, whoever wants to learn the subject.

For everything, readers are cordially invited to criticize, constructively or destructively-- anyhow they want to, so that the learning is facilitated. Please bang me hard if you find even a minutest error, dont leave it just like that, for this can be helpful to many people.

Sometimes, some lines from the references might be used verbatim, when I feel I am unable to state things clearly in my words. I shall always list down the specific references used for writting the posts. However, the following three references (books) are the ones which are mostly used. Reader should prefer these for detailed description on any related topic.
  1. Linux Kernel Development By Robert Love, 2nd edition, Sams Publishing
  2. Understanding the Linux Kernel By Daniel P. Bovet, Marco Cesati, 3rd edition, O'Reilly Press
  3. Linux Device Drivers By Jonathan Corbet, Greg Kroah-Hartman, Alessandro Rubini, 3rd edition, O'Reilly Press
As the case with the above books, the posts in this blog shall be based on experience with linux kernel 2.6.x.

No comments: